Advertising is a big factor in television.
The key issues affecting British television today are:
- New technology - The internet and iplayer.
- Audience - Fragmented Audience.
What will be the key features in ensuring its success or downfall in the future?
- Outside funding - Different models of funding.
- Format setting - Advert production.
- Trans media model - Sharing production.
- Use of new technology across differnt countries.
What other issues can you think of that may/will affect the British broadcasting?
- Declining popularity of television as a medium.
- American television being high quality. Same qualities as some of the Hollywood films because of the money.
- Channel 4 and BBC are public service and are funded by the licence payer.
- Quality of American programming.
- More cost efficient to buy the programmes than it is to make them.
- Product placement.
PSB - Public Service Broadcasting means that there are laws regarding product placement and other elements of output.